Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Pantry Beef Casserole


I saw this recipe and haven't been able to stop thinking about it ever since. I finally made it tonight and it's super yum. So thanks, Gluten-Free Mommy! Below is her delicious recipe and check out her blog, her photo of this meal is much more appealing.

PANTRY BEEF CASSEROLE

1 lb. gr. beef, gr. turkey, or soy crumbles
1 onion
1/2 green pepper
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
28 oz. can Muir Glen crushed tomatoes w/ basil
12 oz bag of Tinkyada rice penne
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
salt to taste
red pepper to taste
pinch of sugar
3 oz. mozzarella
5-6 oz. mild cheddar

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to boil to cook the penne. Brown the gr. beef. Drain the excess fat. Add the vegetables and cook for about 8 minutes or until tender. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, red pepper, and oregano. Simmer for 15 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, cook the penne and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the sauce and penne noodles are done, layer them in a 3 qt. casserole dish. Start with 1/2 the sauce, then all of the noodles, then a layer of cheddar cheese, then the rest of the sauce, and top with cheddar cheese and mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

sunnysblog@gmail.com said...

liz, I'm a fan of your blog..and you recently mentioned eating gluten free. woo hoo! I'm on a trip now and it's a challenge to find gluten free foods but I'm doing it. (eating GF for two months now)...

on sundays, I cook for the week with my mom. we share the cooking and cleanup and the end of the afternoon has us sitting playing card games with a stack of leftover-containers in sight with lunches and dinners for the week.

we want to make this pantry beef casserole next week! thanks for posting it!

liz said...

yay! glad to help- the challenge of it will lighten!

sounds like so much fun with your mom, i wish I lived close to my mom to spend that kind of time/ weekly prep together. she would love this recipe, as well (she's in AZ and I'm in CA).

Unknown said...

This is an easy comfort food! I even served it to company with great success. Glad you guys liked it.