This recipe my husband figured out and is a big hit with the celiac and non-celiac crowds alike! Let's start with the homemade gluten-free cornbread and below is the stuffing recipe.
White corn meal
Make the cornbread the night before. Follow the cornbread recipe on the package. No sugar. Just corn meal, eggs, water, butter, salt, baking powder. Once it comes out of the oven, slice it up all crazy and leave it uncovered overnight.
Two packages of spicy sage sausage
Two large white onions
5 cups water
6 chicken boullion cubes
- Brown the sausage and set aside. Keep the sausage grease.
- Quarter the onions and then slice. If you don't like slices, dicing is acceptable as well.
- Throw some olive oil in a fry pan and slightly brown onions.
- Add the sausage
- Prepare the chicken boullion
- Get a giant pot and put your crazy sliced up cornbread in it
- Slice up the cornbread some more
- Add sausage and onions and grease and stir like the devil
- Add a lot of sage and pepper and salt
- Pour in your chicken boullion slowly. Pour about half in, then stir. Keep adding boullion and stirring until you have your stuffing at the right consistency. I personally like mine less dry.
- Add more sage, pepper, and garlic to taste
- Stuff bird if you feel like it, but I never do