Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Chocolate Krispy Treats


Gluten Free Chocolate Krispy Treats

6 Tbsp butter (real butter, not margarine)
1 (16 oz) bag large marshmallows
1 (13 oz) box Cocoa Pebbles cereal
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Spray a 9x13 pan and a spatula with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the bag of marshmallows, stirring constantly, until they are almost completely melted (there should still be some semi melted marshmallows). Remove from heat and add the entire box of Cocoa Pebbles cereal. Stir well to incorporate. Pour into the 9x13 pan and press down with the spatula. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.

I am a rice krispy treat junkie, a true addict. Why oh why do they put malt flavoring in rice krispies? It's like some kind of cruel joke. But, here is an alternative. These are chocolaty and krispy and marshmallowy. Very yummy. Please use real butter, it makes a world of difference. And use the large marshmallows, they don't melt as fast giving the treats the perfect gooey consistency. I dare you to not eat it out of the pan like I do, with a big wooden spoon, marshmallow coating your fingers. Mmmmmm.

FYI-I called about the Cocoa Pebbles and the people at Post basically said, if it doesn't say wheat, barley, oats, or rye, it's gluten free, without actually saying they were gluten free. Hmmm...I'm assuming they don't want a lawsuit. Anyways, there is no gluten in any of the ingredients listed on these or Fruity Pebbles. I've had Fruity Pebbles treats as well, which are good but a little fruity.

10 comments:

Liz said...

yum!

Stepi said...

I just have to tell you I am so excitted about your blog!! (I found it yesterday from the link on designmom.)

We are going through the process of my 9 yr old son being diagnosed with celiac disease and I was feeling very overwhelmed. He was diagnosed with diabetes in October and now this...so your blog has given me a great deal of hope that we will be able to do this successfully.

Thank you so much!!

Liz said...

Stepi- glad you found us and that we can help. also glad you found us on the perfect kind of post for a 9 year old (thanks to Melanie's awesome treats!)

Lea Ray said...

I used to make these all the time and I haven't lately. I might have to stop on the way home from work and get the ingredients. Thanks.

Melony said...

Lea ray-Isn't it funny how we forget about recipes we love? I do it all the time, which is why this blog is so good for me. I can keep track of the things I like to eat! Hope your cocoa pebbles treats are as fab as mine were (they didn't last long at our house!)

Christina said...

Your Blog is a God send for me and my 14 year old son. We both found out recently that we are gluten intolerant and have enjoyed many of your recipies.

Let Them (not) Eat Cake said...

Way yummy. Some friends were eating rice krispie treats the other night and I was starting to feel my typical "deprivation syndrome" coming on, so I was really glad to try this idea. I almost think that Cocoa Pebbles are maybe better...

Michelle said...

what a good idea, we have mourned the malt in rice crispies also, I had never thought of the choc version, going to go buy some tomorrow!

Wild Swarm Apiary said...

I made these for my sister in law a week ago. She LOVED them... She is begging me to make more (why, I don't know... she cooks, too!!)... Thanks for the recipe. I never thought of making Chocolate ones!

P.S. I used chocolate marshmallows and called them "triple chocolate treats"!!!!!

Jess said...

I just stumbled on this blog and I'm so excited to see "normal" but healthy gluten-free recipes! I used to make Scotcharoo's that were to die for! They were rice krispies mixed with peanut butter and light karo syrup. Then a bag of choc chips and butterscotch chips were melted on top. I'm thinking about trying this recipe with butterscotch chips melted on top instead. I bet they're YUM-O!