Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies!


If I could hand you anything I have posted on this site, it would be this cookie. It's my new favorite post. Please, trust me on this one. Get yourself these ingredients and try them out this week. You and your family will thank me.

Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.

Gluten-Free Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons gf vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups rice flour

1. Cream butter and cream cheese together until fluffy; add sugar and cream well.
2. Add egg, salt, vanilla, and almond extract; mix well.
3. Add flour and mix until incorporated.
4. Chill dough for several hours or overnight.
5. Roll batter into a ball with hand (think silver dollar size) and press flat with fingers. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 375 degrees just until edges begin to brown (this is 12 minutes in my oven).


Here is the frosting recipe I use from a Betty Crocker Cook Book:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 + 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk

Mix sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla and milk; beat until smooth.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Mmm! I tried these sugar cookies tonight and they were so good! What flour did you use? I used 3 cups of brown rice flour but they ended up being a little delicate. I was thinking maybe I should have tried a combination of gf flours. Also, is almond extract naturally gluten free? I wasn't sure so I left it out. Thanks for posting this great recipe!

Tamara said...

You guys are my favorite people in the world! I just found your blog and all I can say is it is divine providence. How you knew I'd be craving sugar cookies, I'll never know but I appreciate the recipe! (And so will my poor emaciated husband!)

Thanks!

Michelle said...

I have missed you guys! I will try these out immediately, your chocolate chip cookie is our favorite! Hey, I was wondering if you would want any candy recipes as I made them this Christmas, caramel, fudge and peppermint bark. Let me know I could e-mail them to you

liz said...

Katie- I use rice flour. good question about the almond extract, my husband didn't get sick from them so that's my quick and dirty answer for you. ;-)

Tamara- yay! welcome!!

michelle- yes any recipes are welcome and those sound perfect for my sweet tooth (teeth?).

-liz

Amanda said...

These cookies are delicious! I am in college and was recently diagnosed with a bunch of food allergies, so it is nice to be able to eat something delicious! Also, my boyfriend loved them, which is great because I want to know I can cook things that other people will want to eat with these allergies. Anyway, the only things I changed was I used 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour with 1/2 cup sweet rice flour. Also, I left out the almond extract, as I am allergic to almonds. The frosting was delicious with the cookies! Thanks for the recipe!

blwilkey said...

I just found this recipe and just in time. Halloween is just next week and my daughters need a snack for school. They wanted to make sugar cookies and decorate them with frosting. PERFECT!!

melliepetunia said...

These cookies are wonderful. They are quite delicate so I'm wondering if they could use an addition of xanthan gum.

Unknown said...

Will we be able to use cookie cutters with this recipe?

Unknown said...

Will we be able to use cookie cutters with this recipe?