Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Apple Crisp

Gluten Free Apple Crisp

5-6 Golden Delicious apples, cored, sliced, and if you have the time, peeled
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Streusel topping:
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp potato starch
6 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar

In a 9x13 pan, spread apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Drizzle lemon juice over top. In a separate bowl, combine rice flour, cornstarch, potato starch, and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly and holds together when pressed down. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake in a 350 oven for 1 hour. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Sorry about the picture, I wasn't going to post this but...
I made this for my sister, also a celiac, and her husband, a non celiac. I was in a rush and threw it together before we ate dinner. She tried it first and oohed and aahed, and I smiled, thanking her but also knowing she's easy to please. Then he tried it, and seriously couldn't stop telling me how delicious it was. I take his comments to heart, because I know that sometimes I, as a celiac, don't have the same palette as the non celiacs. So this is an easy dessert that you can throw together that will get rave reviews.


6 comments:

Liz said...

yum! this was all I could make after each fall NY apple picking adventure and it was delicious every time. Almost like the insides of apple pie (the best part, anyway, in my opinion!).

michelle said...

I just have to tell you girls, it is 10:30p.m. and I had to go make this for my hubby, he had a bad day and I figured it would make yummy breakfast(dessert is legal for that at our house if you are a grown-up). Thanks for inspiring me!

Michelle said...

Okay, I don't know why it decides I should be my hubby sometimes,this is Michelle!

Laura said...

I love you girls!! Finally I have a recipe for this w/o the gluten!! MWAHHH!

Katy said...

Apple crisp was my favorite dessert as a child! My mom worked for a bakeware company, and I loved playing with the apple peeler/slicer tool. I haven't thought about it in years, but thanks for bringing this back into my life.

cattleboyz said...

thans for your great recipe share with us. great posting an many many thanks . barbecue sauce