Monday, May 7, 2007

Shepherd's Pie


Shepherd's Pie


Mashed potatoes(I mash 5 large potatoes with butter and sour cream, but you can use instant)
1 1/2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2-4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz) can Italian style diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can French cut green beans, drained
1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
Cheddar cheese
Make mashed potatoes and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add ground beef and garlic salt. Cook until no longer pink. Drain fat. Add Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tomatoes, green beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
In an ungreased bundt cake pan, spoon in meat and vegetable mixture. Dollop mashed potatoes over top, covering meat. Sprinkle on cheese.
Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
I like to use LOTS of mashed potatoes, because that's my favorite part. I didn't have any corn for the picture, but I would usually add it. You can also add other veggies, like grated carrots or celery or squash. I also like to use lots of Worcestershire sauce, because it gives it zip, but you don't have to. My mom used to make this when I was a kid, so it's comfort food for me. It doesn't even know it's gluten free.

1 comment:

liz said...

You won't believe this, but this is one of the few dishes Mike has always talked about since we have been married. I have never made or eaten it in my entire life (GF or regular version).