Monday, May 28, 2007

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stir-fry


Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stir-fry

1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, sliced thin
2 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 large carrots, sliced thin on the diagonal
1/2 lb snow peas

Sauce:
2 Tbsp soy sauce, gluten free (I use La Choy)
1/4 cup ketchup, gluten free (I use Heinz)
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, gluten free (I use Lea & Perrins)
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup chicken broth, gluten free (I use Knorr bouillon to make my broth)
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt


Hot cooked rice


Mix all sauce ingredients with a whisk. Set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in large skillet over high heat, being careful not to let burn. Add chicken, ginger, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until the chicken is no longer pink. Add onion, peppers, and carrots, sauteing for another minute or two. When vegetables are crisp-tender, add snow peas and sauce. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot over rice.

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe many years ago. I believe she got it out of a cookbook but I don't have any idea which one. It called for cashews, which I'm sure would be great but I never have on hand. I also sometimes forget to buy fresh ginger and garlic, so I cheat and use ground ginger and garlic salt. The cayenne pepper does make this dish spicy, so omit if you or your children are averse to the heat. Add as many of the vegetables as you like, the more the better. You can always double the sauce if you like your stir fry saucy.

1 comment:

Marci said...

We made this last week and I LOVED it!!! We added a handful of cashews and I thought they were a great touch!